Summer and Christmas collide in Dani Venns summer berry pannetone pudding. You will need to start this recipe the day before.
The ingredient of Panettone summer pudding with eggnog custard
- 1.3kg frozen mixed berries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 750g panettone
- Extra berries, to serve
- Sifted icing sugar, to serve
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
The instruction how to make Panettone summer pudding with eggnog custard
- Place berries, sugar and 1 cup of water in a saucepan over medium heat, allowing berries to defrost for around 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain berries reserving the syrup. Place syrup into a large bowl.
- Spray the inside of a 2 litre pudding mould or bowl with oil, line with cling wrap leaving some excess to overhang.
- Slice panettone into 1-2cm thick slices and trim into a rectangle shape. Using one slice of panettone at a time, dip briefly in berry syrup, then place one slice at the bottom of the pudding mould, then repeat with remaining slices lining the sides of the mould so that the panettone is slightly overlapping, like a fan. Leave a 2cm gap around the top of the mould.
- Fill centre of pudding with berries. Finish the pudding off with a final layer of panettone to form a base. Place a small plate or pudding lid on the base, weight down with a heavy object and place in the fridge overnight.
- To make custard, Place milk, cream, nutmeg, vanilla, cinnamon, rum and half the amount of sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Allow mixture to come to a simmer, then turn off heat and allow spices to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Combine egg yolks, corn flour and remaining sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk mixture until pale and thick.
- Remove cinnamon from milk mixture then add 1/2 cup warm mixture to the egg yolks, whisk, then add remaining milk mixture.
- Return this mixture back into the saucepan over low heat. Using a rubber spatula, constantly mix for 5 u2013 10 minutes until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely in the fridge.
- To remove pudding, place mould on plate, remove mould and cling wrap. To serve summer pudding top with extra fresh berries and a little sieved icing sugar. Serve with chilled eggnog custard.
Nutritions of Panettone summer pudding with eggnog custardcalories: