This comforting and aromatic custard pudding is made extra special when served alongside warm, caramelised oranges.
The ingredient of Cardamom custards with caramelised orange
- 310ml (1 1/4 cups) skim milk
- 80g (1/2 cup) finely chopped palm sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 navel oranges, peeled, thinly sliced crossways
- 3 teaspoons pistachio kernels, finely chopped
The instruction how to make Cardamom custards with caramelised orange
- Combine the milk, half the palm sugar, cardamom and cloves in a saucepan. Stir over low heat for 2 minutes or until palm sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Use a wire balloon whisk to whisk egg yolks in a large heatproof jug until pale and creamy. Strain milk mixture through a fine sieve into egg yolks and stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Pour among four 125ml (1/2-cup) capacity ovenproof ceramic dishes. Cover dishes with foil and place in a 30cm-diameter bamboo steamer.
- Add enough water to a wok to reach a depth of 5cm and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high. Place steamer over wok of simmering water (make sure base of steamer doesnt touch the water). Cook, covered, for 12-15 minutes or until custards are just set. Remove steamer from wok. Remove custards from steamer.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill on high. Place orange slices, in a single layer, on a baking tray and sprinkle with remaining palm sugar. Cook under grill, about 6cm from the heat source, for 2-3 minutes or until sugar caramelises. Remove from grill.
- Place custards on serving plates and sprinkle with pistachios. Arrange orange slices on plates and serve immediately.
Nutritions of Cardamom custards with caramelised orangecalories: 212.71 calories
calories: 4.5 grams fat
calories: 1.5 grams saturated fat
calories: 38 grams carbohydrates
calories: 6.5 grams protein