Our talented foodies show you how to make this traditional meal from scratch.
The ingredient of Classic roast beef
- 1 large brown onion, peeled, cut into wedges
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2kg beef sirloin roast
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 cups Massel beef stock
- Peas, to serve
- Yorkshire puddings (see related recipe), to serve
The instruction how to make Classic roast beef
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Place onion, carrot, celery and thyme in the bottom of a heavy-based, flameproof roasting pan. Drizzle with half the oil. Toss to combine. Pile vegetable mixture in centre of roasting pan.
- Place mustard, Worcestershire sauce and remaining oil in a bowl. Stir to combine. Season with pepper. Rub top and bottom of beef with mustard mixture. Place beef on vegetable mixture. Roast for 1 hour 20 minutes for medium or until cooked to your liking. Remove from oven.
- Transfer beef to a warmed plate. Cover with foil. Rest for 20 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a bowl. Set aside.
- Skim fat from roasting pan, leaving 1 tablespoon pan juices and fat in pan. Place pan over high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and browns. Add wine. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Add stock, reserved vegetables and juices from resting beef. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, scraping pan, for 6 to 8 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Strain mixture into a jug, pressing on vegetables to extract flavour. Discard vegetables.
- Slice beef. Serve with mashed potato, peas, yorkshire puddings and gravy.
Nutritions of Classic roast beefcalories: 910.351 calories
calories: 42.2 grams fat
calories: 16 grams saturated fat
calories: 32.5 grams carbohydrates
calories: 92.3 grams protein
calories: 269 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 847 milligrams sodium